FAQs: Safer Drug Consumption Facilities and Heroin Assisted Treatment
Safer drug consumption facilities (SDCFs) are clean, hygienic environments where people can consume drugs, obtained elsewhere, under the supervision of trained health professionals.
They offer a compassionate, person-centred service which focuses on reducing the harms associated with injecting drug use and helps people access appropriate services to meet their needs. By doing so, they are able to reach an extremely vulnerable group who often do not engage with our existing services.
- What is being proposed in Glasgow?
- Why are these services being proposed for Glasgow city centre?
- What are the expected benefits of these services?
- Will these services increase drug use, drug dealing, and crime in the local area?
- What is the legal status of these services?
- Can we afford these services?
- How will these services help people to stop using drugs?