2013 Annual General Meeting held in Bournemouth in September following the >NNEF All Day Meeting.
Elected Officials: Jamie Bridge (Chair), Philippe Bonnet (Deputy Chair), Nigel Brunsdon (Deputy Chair)
Planning Group Members: Cliff Askey, Jane Askey, Tim-Jake Gluckman, Andrew Preston
Others: Iain (Buff) Cameron, Lana Durjava, Dave Estabrook, Talwinder (Tally) Ghataura, Neil Harvey, Ayesha Mian, Frank Miles, Mat Southwell, and Monique Tomlinson
Elected Officials: Allison Downing (Deputy Chair), Helen Wilks (Treasurer)
Planning Group Members: Martin Chandler, Vicky Fenwick, Mercy Nimako, James Pierce, Paul Sargent, Tim White, Lidia Woods
- Welcome and registration
Jamie welcomed the attendees and introduced the agenda.
- Confirmation of minutes from 2012 AGM
These were agreed as a correct record of the previous AGM held in London on 10th December 2012.
- Report from the Chair and Planning Group
Jamie reported on activities since the 2012 AGM, including:
- Meetings with PHE staff regarding the 2013 needle exchange survey and general monitoring issues
- A meeting with PHE and the Home Office to discuss the new foil legislation
- Participation in the PHE “Intelligence Network” on injecting drug use
- Participation in the NICE review of its needle and syringe programme guidance
- Planning of the 2013 Forum meeting in BournemouthPlans for a nationwide ‘mystery shopper’ project will be taken-up in 2014 (see below)
- Review of the NNEF accounts and financial reports
In Helen’s absence, Jamie presented the NNEF accounts since December 2012 – based on our bank account activity. The accounts show that the Bournemouth event has been cost-neutral thanks to the income from exhibitors etc, and that the NNEF is in a comfortable financial position moving into 2014.
- Election of new officers
Jamie (Chair), Philippe (Deputy Chair), Nigel (Deputy Chair) and Helen (Treasurer) were all elected at the 2012 AGM, so are not up for re-election this year. Allison (Deputy Chair) put herself forward for re- election, and it was universally agreed for her to continue in this role.
- Appointment of Planning Group members
Jamie invited people to join the Planning Group and explained what this may entail. Lana and Tally volunteered to join the Group, and Jamie will send them an invitation to join the NNEF Planning Group discussion group. Nigel will speak to Cat Dare to see if she wants to continue on the group. It was also agreed to liaise closely with Buff on issues related to Northern Ireland.
- “Regional Round-Up”
Participants raised a number of issues being experienced at the local level, such as: cuts in needle exchange hours – with services only being offered in one ‘window’ per week day; lack of training opportunities; trends towards pharmacy-dominated models; cash-flow and delivery issues related to the transfer of contracts from PCTs to local authorities; and issues with certain brands of paraphernalia.
- Plans for 2014
NNEF will maintain its presence in the PHE “Intelligence Network” on injecting drug use, and the NICE review committees. In addition, it was agreed that the NNEF Planning Group would focus on three main activities in 2014:
- A training / workshop-focussed event in Spring 2014, possibly hosted by Liverpool John Moores University (who have offered facilities free of charge). This would help engage local providers, with parallel tracks tailored to beginners and more experienced individuals. This would help to fill a perceived gap in training provision nowadays.
- The “mystery shopper” project. There is still a lot of interest in doing this, and there is experience from Scotland that could be used too. The mystery shopper experiment would include scenarios such as returning needles, not returning needles, and being a first time user. It was agreed to include Mat Southwell, Frank Miles and Dave Estabrook in the planning.
- The 2014 NNEF Meeting, to be held in September / October in the midlands. Philippe will explore possible venues in Birmingham.
- Any other business – It was agreed to invite Boots to exhibit at any future event (they were not invited for this one). – Jamie will send an email to the participants from today’s meeting, offering certificates (as this was overlooked in the preparations). – It was also agreed to try and budget for scholarships to service users for future NNEF meetings.
DOWNLOAD AS A PDF